Kellie only has like 4 words (one for mom, dad, Emmett, Megan, Nana) in her vocabulary. We've been lazily teaching her baby signing and she has about 10 signs that she uses regularly.
I was putting her to bed the other night and she kept handing me books, I'd start to read, she'd take it out of my hand and give me another. Then she signed "book", made a kissing sound and danced, she kept doing it while handing me books.
She handed me the book "Snuggle Puppy" by Sandra Boynton and I started reading. She shrieked a happy shriek, made the kiss sound and started dancing.
AHHH, all along she was trying to tell me what book to read. See, Snuggle Puppy is about a song a parent dog sings to their puppy about how they love everything about puppy. "It starts with an OOO and ends with a kiss and all along the middle it goes something like this- OOOO snuggle puppy of mine, everything about you is especially fine..." (that's from memory-the actual words might be slightly different!)
I am amazed at how resourceful kids can be! She definitely has a way of letting us know what she wants, if we just stop and pay attention and are good at charades!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's so cool that you communicate with Kellie through sign language! I have heard of teaching children signs, but I never knew anyone who used it with their kids. Kudos to you and to Kellie!
Post a Comment