Thursday, October 2, 2008

Emmett, our dog



I realized that while I have posted about both of the girls and about Kevin, I have neglected to post about our dog, the one mentioned in the title of this blog!





Emmett is a Sussex Spaniel. I know, "what the heck is that?" People have looked at him and guessed that he was a Cocker Spaniel mixed with a Chihuahua (that one made me laugh), and when we tell them what he is the response usually is "never heard of them before. Is that a new breed?" Nope, not new, just not common esp in the US. Here's a link to tell you about this beautiful breed- http://www.akc.org/breeds/sussex_spaniel/index.cfm

He and I are the lone brown eyes in this house of blues! I've frequently said that if I ever get my hair colored (it's getting gray so that may come soon) that I was going to take a piece of his beautiful golden brownish redish fur with me to get it matched!

He is such a laid back guy (until you leave him alone then he howls, neighbors know when we're gone b/c he can be so loud). He tolerates being the last on the list, but is finally learning to speak up if he wants something. He is so good with the girls and deals with Kellie getting right in his face and panting back at him. Megan says she wants a dog who plays, Emmett never has been a dog that played- no ball chasing, stick retrieving, or swimming. Our bulldog did all that, but not Emmett. He'd prefer to sit on your feet and bark at birds and squirrels.

When Kellie was still getting up at night to eat, he'd get up and sit by my feet. It was nice to have his company. He never seems to really sleep, he seems to be half on alert.

I am thankful that God placed dogs on the earth, they are great companions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ccialI want a dog but I'm pretty sure my husband feels the same about a dog as he does about another baby.